On behalf of everyone here at Eftpos NZ, we hope you, your family, and your team is safe and well.
The Government has now announced guidelines for business operations at COVID-19 Alert Level 2. The Prime Minister has described Alert Level 2 as a ‘safe normal designed to get the economy back up and running in a safe way’.
Many businesses are anticipating the transition to Alert Level 2, and the opportunity to welcome customers back to their stores. As you prepare your business for this new normal, our advice is to start preparing your payment solution for trading as soon as possible, to avoid any delays should you need our support.
Here’s what you should be doing now:
- Safely clean and disinfect your devices – We have seen a big increase in liquid damaged terminals being returned to us due to improper cleaning. If you or your staff damage an EFTPOS terminal by cleaning it incorrectly, you'll be left without an EFTPOS terminal while you wait for a replacement, and you are also liable for the full cost of repair. Make sure you read our guide to properly cleaning EFTPOS terminals and share this information with your team, to avoid damaging your devices.
- Make sure your payment solution is fit for purpose - Physical distancing and touch-free payment solutions are likely to be the norm for many months to come. You may need to make changes to how you trade, the layout of your store, what services you offer and how you take payment. A good place to start is our guide to contactless payment methods which walks you through different payment solutions that eliminate or limit physical contact with customers. We continue to update our COVID-19 hub as the situation evolves, so be sure to check back regularly.
- Upgrading to a mobile terminal – Get in touch with us as soon as possible if you need a portable payment solution. We are experiencing huge demand for mobile terminals and stocks are limited. Request a quote or get in touch with our sales team directly here.
- Get contactless enabled – The good news is that all our EFTPOS devices can accept contactless ‘paywave’ payments. To enable contactless payments on your EFTPOS terminal/s, you will need to call the bank that provides your merchant facility. The banks are currently experiencing an unprecedented demand for contactless payments, so we recommend getting in early to accommodate longer waiting times. Find out how to contact your bank here.
- Test your terminals – If you can access your premise, make sure your devices are working so you can troubleshoot any issues ahead of reopening. To help you avoid a call into our helpdesk, we’ve put together some of the FAQs our technical support teams have been answering throughout the lockdown. Read the FAQs here.
- Brush up on how to use your devices – If you need a refresher on how to use your device you can access comprehensive terminal user manuals, quick user guides, how-to videos and help articles on our support site here. If you need help remembering how to perform a ‘logon’, see this step-by-step guide.
If you’re exploring adapting your business in response to COVID-19, we can help. Our team of EFTPOS experts are working remotely and are available to discuss your payment needs:
Our 24/7 technical helpdesk and customer services team are also working remotely. Here’s how to contact them:
Eftpos NZ Technical Support is available 24/7:
• Call 0800 EFTPOS (0800 338 767, option 2)
• Submit a support form.
Eftpos NZ Customer Service is available 8 am - 5 pm, Monday - Friday:
• Eftpos NZ COVID-19 Info Hub: Get the latest updates, information and advice from us.
• MBIE guide to workplace operations at COVID-19 alert levels.
• Government information for employers, employees and essential businesses and services.
• Advice and resources for hospitality businesses
• Advice and resources for retailers